Monday, June 20, 2005

Article link: PDA obsession

PDA24/7 - The PDA ruined my Life?

In this article, by Shaun, who runs one of the biggest PDA related sites, he talks about his obession with PDAs and his site.
He said "the PDA starts to dictate how you spend your leisure time and stops you from thinking reactively" that's an intresting point. However, I guess what really matters is how much of your life do you organise with your PDA. In my case, I have chunks of free time that I don't know what to do with exactly, while I only have 2 goals in mind: 1)study, 2)look for fun. You could organise every bit of your life, however, as I'm a guy that always do stuff on impluse and who seldom work according to timelines. I'm a "goal-orinted guy", so for some stuff, I prefer to use the To-Do list instead of the Datebook. Besides, I've tried severel times to completely organise my day, comming out with a datebook view with numerous chunks of "study time", which is quite boring just to look at. And besides, I never succesed to use time precisely according to that kind of organisation. I usually end up using "study time" reading novels :) Actually, I use Datebook for appointments that have time limits, such as classes, speechs I need to go to, or appointments I have with others. Other stuff goto the todo list. I like flexibility.

On the other side, I've seen a friend with his datebook completely blank. I'd ask: "then why buy a PDA in the first place?" seem that some people buy them not to organise, but just as another expensive toy. Now, in that case, the PDA is wasting a lot of his time while saving none.

No comments: