Saturday, January 29, 2005

Biking trip: 1st day

Got up real early at 3:20 this morning to get on the bus at 4:00, but then we took an hour just to stack all those bikes into the bus. Slept for a while on the bus till we got to I-lan(宜蘭), when it's just about time to have "breakfast". After some intro and the sort, people started singing karaoke. Although I never liked the MIDI background music of karaoke, there's something intresting about it. How come people always pick the same songs, no matter when or who?

Then we got to the beautiful city of Hwalian(花蓮)where we finally got on our bikes and started riding. With all those flat roads and the slow speed of only 15+ km/hr(because we have amatures here), this is way too easy and I started to get bored. Then me and another friend who loves the feel of speed started to go into a cycle of slowing down, get to the back of the pack, speeding up back to the head of the pack then slowing down again. Some sort of entertainment, I'd say.

We then came to Tong Hwa University(東華大學). It's like twice as big as our school with so much grass filds that it looks more like a park. Although the place was so beautiful, but it seems so deserted that it would even be a pain in the ass to get a good meal. We took a rest there,and everyboby did a self-introduction. Being a sophmore, I suddenly feel like a little kid in a pack of big kids, since most people are older and many are already in graduate school. It's expecially weird to hear them say "it's so good to be young" when that's just what you would say to a fresrman. And just as usual, I forgot everybodys' names just 1 hour after the intros', of course. If I tell you I can remember someone's name by just meeting that person once, there's only 2 possibilities: 1)that's couldn't be me, or 2)it's the name of a girl that I decided I liked very much at first sight--which only occured to me once. So, so much for the intros, I don't remember a single bit of it.

Then we biked on. On the road , the first pack got a little fast and the slower pack lagged farther and farther. Guess this well always happen when you've got a lot of people.

We saw a stupid dog, who ran quickly without warning, trying to cross the road. It got hit by a little truck, yeeped loudly, but only wounded a leg, then nearly got hit by a secend. Now that was close.

We also learned a lesson: don't ride too closely to each other, or ride in a perfect stright line - the hard way. Someone slightly swinged his rear wheel, causing the guy in the back to dodge , and me, futher back lost my stabability and braked, causing the guy in the back of me crashing into each other. So, don't ride to close to each other.

Finnaly, we got to the guest house where we spend the night. The host and hostest was very hospitable, making us feel like home.
--------
I'm tired, maybe I'll right more some time later...

No comments: