Sunday, October 01, 2006

Cyclub site renewal & addition of English version

lang-bar It all started last semester, just before the finals. Our club director found out that our school, in order to promote "globalization", is doing a "club site English translation" program, and is offering each club an award of 3000NTD for accomplishing that goal. At the time I simply agreed to do it, assuming I'd have some free time in the summer. But as a sentimental guy, my feelings once again got the better of me.

I was in a high mood at first, posting questionairs and plans on our BBS system board. But then, turns out that no one cares about that god damn web site, my postings were practically ignored, except for 1 or 2 close friends who did respond. I felt isolated and neglected. In summer, in the US, turns out I don't have that much free time, and I relented. Actually, it was some technical problems that were the last straw to brake the camel's back: I can't figure out how to set the upper side mergin of webpage elements, and thus, can't get the newly designed language selection bar to stick gaplessly to the top. So, tired, neglected and fed up, I gave up.

The submission date came and went by, but I didn't resume work on the site, since no one cared. I wanted to do something that'll make me feel that I'm needed in this world, not doing something that no one cares about.

Then, several things came up. By playing with the HTML file that Apple's iWeb generated, I learned how to use layers. With this new tool, most of the restrictions of web design were gone, and that previous technical obsticle was accidentally solved. Since the program deadline was long gone, I just did some minor experiments on the original page. Tired with the worries of the grad school application, I started to do more and more tweeks to the site; with layers, HTML coding was once again fun and challenging. And also, a new Japanese friend told me that he learned about our club from our website, my work was proved useful, at last!

Two days ago, someone told me that the program deadline was extended farther back (not much clubs signed in I guess), and asked me to do it. In a good mood at the time, I went : "OK", and the work started. Me and my helper worked for hours on this project, going to sleep at 3am for the last 2 days. At last, yesterday (should be early this morning), it was finished. I was excited, and posted a notice on our BBS board to let everyone know before going to bed.

Sure enough, only the one who asked me to do it cared. Like what were we working day and night, and sacrificing our time for? Like yeah right, I did all this so you guys have more money to throw pizza parties? Great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

松智辛苦了>"<