Monday, January 30, 2006

On thoughts & languages

I guess it's been a long time since I last blogged in English. How do I decide what language do I blog in? Well, normally, I just write down what's on my mind, which means that I use what ever language I was using in my mind at the moment. Now that brings an intresting question: how do multilingual people decide which language they use to think? I guess most modern people just simply use their mother tongue. But I'm now living in an environment that's using my 2nd language, and there are many things that I don't know how to say in the other language. OK, I think in what ever language I like, sometimes it depends on my mood; sometimes I switch when I don't know how to say it in one language; sometimes I switch when I am reading a book in another language.

This is an age of frequent travel and intercultural interaction. More and more people are equally fluent in multiple languages. Some of them may even have difficulty deciding which is their home country. I guess I might be considered one of these strange people of this awkward age. A life of ambiguity, I guess.

No comments: