Thursday, September 16, 2004

心情: Something about our school

Being a sophomore who already been in this school for a year, I would thought that I've known all about our school, until now, that is.

1.The bright side: our Biochem professor
Before we decide to take a course, we usually look up the profile of the teacher on the BBS. Info we get usually include how much you would learn from the course, is it easy or do you need to work hard, does the teacher give high grades, is it easy to sign on...etc, and all the kind of stuff students usually care about. But, if the course is assigned to you by the faculty, you usually don't bother to look him/her up at all. And that was the case with my Biochemistry. I just took it and sat in class, not knowing what to expect. On tuesday, when I first went to the class, it was just an introduction, and I just felt "not bad", although I kind of recall my former roommate recommending this professor. And today, when I start to think that he is good, he started to show off. He was talking about the history of Biochem, and happend to mention the legendary Linus Paulin, who got a Nobel prize for the discovery of the alpha helix of polypeptides. And then it came. He said that Paulin was his teacher! That means he was at Caltech I guess. And then he proudly showed of a picture of himself with Linus Paulin! Wow! Now I'm really looking foward to what he can teach us.

2.The dark side: No PE class?!
Now for a rediculus one. After you read this, you would think "Wow, a university advertising is self as one of the best in the world can ACTUALLY not have enough PE class!" How sarcastic.
Ok, I can't get to sign on to any tennis class because of some strange reason. No money! Because our government has no money, they cut back on educational funding. So our school has less money, and the faculty cut back on courses, which leaves most of us without PE class simply because there aren't enough. What's more they say that we are having layoffs at the department in charge of our PE classes. Now, we are paying more fees each for education, and we are having less courses to choose from, and it would be worse with each passing year. And yeah, our government is poor, because some politician was constantly riding around in a chopter, and guzzling up billions so his son can have several grand mansions in the US. And he still denies it. Now that's enough.

1 comment:

taffy_stuck said...

(Constantly nodding my head as I'm reading this writing)