Thursday, September 16, 2004

Review: Sony anounced new Clie VZ90

Ok, this is only a news review, because I haven't seen the real thing, and maybe won't even have a chance to see it in the future.

Finally a new Clie!!!
VZ90
http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/PEG/PEG-VZ90/index.html
From the website, we can see that this thing is quite similar to the TH55, with only some small differences:
1.A OLED(or by Sony's termanology, organic EL) display.
2.Double sized battery.
3.CF card slot/support.

And some unpractical stuff to make it look cool:
1.Media software(movie& music player and picture viewer) rewritten to look like the "Do Vaio" suite on the new Vaio computers.
2.A disc jog from the famous so505i cell phones sold in Japan.

But the biggest difference I've noticed isn't in the product itself.
1.Advertised as a portable media player instead of a PDA/organizer.
2.DOUBLE THE PRICE of the TH55!!!

The OLED display is indeed beautiful, but if you have to pay double the price, I'd rather go with a transflective TFT-LCD.
And if any one from Sony is reading this, I well tell you that I can do anything the VZ can on a NX. (Yes, I can make a NX play music & movies from a CF) Besides, I got more software(photo editer and photo stand for example) to play with and an additional camera.
So the VZ is great, but unless with the price of a TH55, it won't sell.

Wonder if this is one of those show-off that aren't ment to sell, just like the NZ90. If that's the case, I would be looking forward to a striped down version (maybe a VX80 or something?) for a lower price.

No comments: