Sunday, May 06, 2007

Get my new Sony Cybershot H9!

In preparation for my Hokkaido biking trip, I decided I need a good camera, so as Sony came out with their newest ultra zooms (the H7 and H9), their only models that feature manual shutter speed and aperture controls, I went to pick one up. I choose Sony mainly because it uses memory sticks, which my Clie can read, and I really like Sony's user interface designs. If I was using a Palm TX instead of a Clie TH55, I would considered a Nikon or Cannon, brands that use SD cards.

Not much time left to write a review of is today, so here's a short summary of my first thoughts.

First of all, I got a black model. The plastic case is jet black with a granny texture, similar to Sony's own Alpha A100 DSLR, gives a nice feel of good quality. On the other hand, there is a silver model which is downright ugly and disgusting, feels more like a toy.

I originally wanted a good camera. Yet I havent got much time to test it's photo capabilities yet. I was playing a lot with it's entertainment functions: It's got built-in photo retouch software, with functions such as making cross shaped shines, blur the background, make the background gray, and more. Sometimes these modifications make really hilarious effects on the photos. I had one mod that made me laugh more then 5 minutes. Also, it can play your photos as slideshows on it's huge screen, while playing music in the background. I just loaded some music on to the camera, and boy is it fun. The flip-up screen allows you to set the screen to a comfortable angle to watch the slideshow, and you can sit back and control it with the supplied remote.

Something that surprised me is that it can use a built-in gyroscope to determine the orientation of the camera when you press the shutter button, and save the picture automatically in the right orientation. No more flips required anymore.

The lens cap is quite loose but won't fall off unexpectedly. Yet, there was one time I turned it on with out removing the cap. The telescoping lens simply pushes the cap out of the way and stretches out. Yet when I leave the cap closed on purpose, the cap got stuck and the lens retreated back into the case when it struct the stuck cap.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi...I like take pics and ride bike,sorry my english is so so.

intellidryad said...

Hi, nice to know someone with a similar interest.

But I guess most bikers would eventually get into the world of photography as they ride to many different beautiful places.

Anonymous said...

Philpalm here:
The Camera can also be used as a card reader....And the video can be converted to view on the Sony Clie..