Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Logos/λόγος

Logos [in Wikipedia] [in Wiktionary]

In my first Philosophy class, today, the professor talked about a lot of interesting thing, so much at I start to regret taking the class as late as in my last year, which is, now. The sad part is that a lot of the lecture has a strange nature that makes you really don't feel it's right, but can't think of any good way to retort, and can't help but agree with him in the end. But over all, the lecture today makes me think, makes me feel like I have a fresh, enlighted mind. I am now starting to have a taste of what the famous quote of René Descartes: "cogito ergo sum" (I think, there fore I am.)

The professor mentioned 2 important ideas of Philosophy: Be able to express/talk (as the greek word: Logos), and be willing to speak. He said: "People who don't speak are no different from dead people to me." Well, that sure is something I should remember, since I don't express my self very well, and I seldom speak. I should try to trash the "silence is gold" crap, and adopt Logos as part of me.

No comments: