Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Crash

My Clie TH55 crashed in picsel viewer today. It crashed when it was in my backpack, and, due to a test I had to take and a report to type on my Macbook, I didn't notice the crash until 5 hours later. The baby was already overheating all over after being on for 5 hours, and be it soft reset, hard reset, or warm reset, I could not help it as the reset button was simply dead. The battery died out about 10 minutes later.

I was scared. It was never apparent how you are dependent on something before you really lost it. And sure enough, this handheld is the companion that I am most attached to in the whole world. A true geek I am, I am not attached as much to any family member nor friend nor girl as my Clie. In some ways, it's even more important then full sized computers. It truly goes everywhere I go, does everything almost instantly, stores truly personal stuff, and was ultra reliable for the past 6 months.

I went home worried, sad and anxious to recharge my TH55, and see if I could save it. On the way, I contemplated the possibilities. I could send the TH55 to repairs and revert to my NX73, which is really unstable from all the damaged wire, and only capable of PIM and MP3 playback from the CF slot; I could also try to get a 2nd hand TH55; or I could get a Palm TX which is only half as stable, half the battery life, and don't support the Japanese software I use. But yeah, 2 years after the Clie TH55 came out, nothing on the market is as good.

After I plugged it in and restored the data, my TH55 now seems alive and kicking. Thank god! Hope it can still be my best companion for at least another 3 years.

No comments: