Sunday, August 05, 2007

Book intro: How to write and publish a scientific paper

How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper: 6th EditionI came across this book by chance. Dad was planing to open a new course, and a book importer gave him this great book to consider as a textbook. I flipped through it and boy do I love it!

Most of the book is just as the title suggests, introducing what to be careful of when composing a paper. It goes to a lot of the needed details, yet managed to keep it clear, to the point and easy to read. A little humor or comics here and there also make this book a fun book to read.

I read through the history part and was surprised by how hard and time consuming it was to publish a paper in the past. Especially when you need to hire artists to draw the charts and graphs for your data. Then, I also came to be astonished by how much people of the publishing industry has become unemployed because of the PC/internet revolution.

I also loved the end supplemental part, where it mentions how to compose a CV, personal statement, cover letter, and even recommendations letters: how to write or ask for one. These are tips that are most important to me now, as I will be applying for grad school again soon. These parts are also very informative, yet clear, concise, and to the point. And talk about the humor, it actually mentioned that you don't send CVs to seek for girl friends.

As publishing your results is a large part of research, I think this is a book that should be on every scientist's desk for reference. Now, I should find some time to read the main part of the book.

How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper, 6 ed.
by Robert A. Day and Barbara Gastel, Cambridge University Press.

(在台灣的朋友,這本書似乎是藝軒代理的,在總區的人應該都知道要那裡找藝軒吧!)

No comments: