Friday, February 18, 2005

Palm OS not attractive any more to some developers?

Some how, that's what I feel. Here's why:
1.New software for palm don't appear as frequently as before. I'm seeing less new software now.(or is it just me?)
2.Skype made a PPC version, but said there are no plans for a Palm version.
3.Mozilla is looking for Win CE developers for it's new mobile browser project(minimo). But why aren't they looking for Palm developers? (I would like to see Mozilla on my Clie)
4.There are lots of CF and SDIO accessaries on the market, (like CF modems, WIFI cards, GPS recevers...etc), but with few exception, they only come with drivers for PPC, but none for Palm.
5.Almost all the new comers of the handheld market use PPC, we seldom see new Palm licencees.(I've seen some where that there are about 50+ companys making PPC; while the number of Palm licencees are scarce, and many of them haven't came out with new handhelds for a long time.)

I don't know what's the problem, but PPC is getting all the news now a days, and I don't see Palmsource doing anything about it. All I see is cobalt(OS6) siting there for a year with no one intrested yet. Come on, man, DO SOMETHING. I don't want to see Microsoft eating up everything. We already had enough of that bad UI(like digging very deep in to your start menu to do one simple task) and numerous security problems of Windows on PCs. I don't want those problems show up on every phone or PDA on the market. There is still symbian on phones to fight MS, but Palm is the only one who can stop MS from eating up PDAs.(Linux is not optimized enough for handhelds yet, I've seen them, thank you.) So why are you still sitting there waiting for MS to kill you, Palmsource?

No comments: