Friday, November 05, 2010

Simple, rapid note taking

Ever since I stopped using my Palm OS Clie TH55 to take note, I have been looking for a nice, simple way to take notes. The best note taking solution should be fast with no distractions, essentially a blank space waiting for you to fill up with your ideas. The Memo application in Palm OS was the best of them all, launches within half a second (faster then you can ever open a physical notebook), then you open a new page and start writing, simple as that.

Migrating on to webOS has left me without a good notes solution, and I never had a good one on my computer. Until I found the combination solution here...

>Notational Velocity
Launch, and start typing, all from your keyboard, no mouse clicks required. And it's free, too. I can't imagine anything better then this.

>Simplenote
Then I noticed that Notational Velocity can sync with a web service called Simplenote. I created an account and realized it's in the same simple spirit as Notational Velocity. Sweet.

>Noted!
So why sync my notes with the web? Enter Noted, for webOS. This little sucker sits on my Palm Pre phone, and syncs with Simplenots. Viola, I have my notes accessible from every web-connected device I have. Sadly, this is also the weak link in my whole note taking solution. This app costs around $1.50, and takes a couple of seconds to sync with Simplenotes. It should sync automatically in the background without you noticing, just like Notational Velocity. Hope future versions would be better.

No comments: