Thursday, March 03, 2005

Nearly killed my Clie!

I was just playing with some dangerous software on my clie, then found some system files corrupt. So I tried to delete the files I just installed. But the OS thought it was a system file, not letting me delete it, forcing me to do a hard reset. So I pushed on the power switch and pressed the reset button...but all I got is a normal reset. This is when I realized that my power switch died! Damn!
I tried to manually delete the bad files, but still to no avill.
Now I had only 3 more options left:
1.drain the battery to flush all data in the RAM(which might take hours or even a whole day)
2.send it to get the power switch repaired, which I'm sure would result in the Clie being away for a whole month.
3.unplug the battery, again to flush all data in the RAM.(which, is risky as I don't know if the battery would go wrong)
For time's sake, I took the 3rd solution, which might be the fastest.
.............................................
So I took off the battery cap and unpluged the battery power cord.
I waited for a few secends then pluged it back in, and...
All I got is a white screen and the power indicator LED flashing on and off...
Now I'm busted.
I repluged it, or repluged it to the AC adapter, but still, the same thing happened again and again.
Durring this, the reset button only temporily stopped the LED flashing.
-Panic--Panic--Panic--Panic--Panic-
I gave up and considered sending it in for a repair, then realized that that means that I'd have to go back to a paper based dayplaner, and copy over everything from my computer to my paper dayplaner...at least 3 hours going down the drain.
After considering that terrible thought, I pluged in the battery once again, minutes after my last try, and...

IT WORKED!!!

I was sooooo happy to see the friendly "Palm powered" logo back again. And it was so good that MS backup worked smoothly as usual. Now my clie is alive again, only that the power switch is dead(not broken but simply not responding). Good thing that the 4 main buttons still turns on the clie.

No comments: