Saturday, April 09, 2005

The fight for your pocket

So many things are fighting for your pocket space, how do you choose?
Let me list the stuff:
1.Phone, 2.MP3/walkman, 3.games, 4.digicam and 5.PDAs.

Now, I think the first thing is to consider which is most important to you.
As #1 can do the work of at least 3 and 4; #3 may do #2; my PDA can substitute 2, 3 and 4
A Treo can even do all of them.
But convergent gadgets never do all of them well.

Phones only take calls good, they do a lot more, but do non of them well.
For example, many mini memory card maxs out at 128MB, so, takes too less MP3s; most can only play simple games; 0.31MP camera; and inputing data with "multitap"(worse then a PDA's touch screen)

Walkmans usually just play music, and do it well.

Portable games(aka PSP)are only good at games, too big and heavy for music play(and bad UI)

Digicams also just take photos.(Only a friction plays music)

PDAs may also be good at games or music play, but never good at taking pictures. I'd say it's best for reading web content on the go.

So focus on what you need most and keep in mind that the added on functions seldom do well.

Thus, for me, I have a seperate PDA and a phone that is only for phone calls(There is an email function, but it's taken care of by my PDA). Personal data management and news reading is essential to me, PDAs are OK with music play, and I'm not that found of phone calls.
Maybe it's because I seldom get or make calls, don't have much close friends, and no girl friend. Call me a loner.

But for some others, I guess the simplist solution is to keep the pockets clean and empty :D

No comments: